Cape Santiago Lighthouse
Cape Santiago Lighthouse (Faro de Cabo Santiago) is a historic lighthouse located in Calatagan, Batangas. A National Historical Landmark, it was among the lighthouses constructed by the Spanish colonial authorities in the Philippines from 1846 to 1896 as part of the Plan General de Alumbrado de Maritimo de las Costas del Archipelago de Filipino (Masterplan for the Lighting of the Maritime Coasts of the Philippine Archipelago), the goal of which was to install 55 lighthouses all over the archipelago, including its remotest corners.
In 1887, Spanish engineer Magin Pers y Pers, who also designed the lighthouses at Cape Bojeador and Cape Engaño, proposed the construction of a lighthouse in Cape Santiago after conducting a site evaluation. Don Santiago Zobel, the rich landowner of Hacienda Bigaa in Calatagan, donated the one-hectare property where the lighthouse was constructed.
Construction company Aldecoa y Compania constructed the lighthouse based on a design by Spanish engineer Guillermo Brockman. Made of brick and lime cement, the red round structure is 15.5 metres (51 ft) tall. A lighthouse keeper's house was also built beside the lighthouse tower. The lighthouse was inaugurated and lit on December 15, 1890.