Balara Filtration Plant
The Balara Filtration Plant was constructed in 1938 by the Metropolitan Water District as part of Manila's water system, the main treatment facility of water from the La Mesa Dam.
|Josefa Llanes Escoda Memorial Hall by National Artist Francisco Manosa|
Amenities such as the rest house and swimming pools were then added between 1949 and 1959 to serve the water district's employees. These facilities were opened to the public in 1953 and instantly became a popular weekend destination until the 1970s. The Metropolitan Water District was renamed the National Waterworks and Sewerage System (NAWASA) in 1955, and by 1971 was replaced by the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS).
Lakbay ng Lakan provides a very detailed description of the art and architecture of the 60-hectare complex.
|Balara-San Juan Aqueduct|
|“La Intrepida” (Fearless) by Fermin Gomez|
Lakbay ng Lakan shares photos of the San Antonio de Padua Parish Church also inside the Balara Filters Park.
First to sixth photographs by Florentino Floro, seventh photo by Roel Balingit, distributed under a CC BY-SA 4.0 license, last photograph by John Paul Olivares.